Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Welcome to Cincinnati

Hi.  Welcome to my new blog.

We used to live in Madison, Wisconsin.  We moved to Cincinnati this year at the very end of July.

On our very first day in Ohio we drove downtown to the river front.  I took some pictures.  Those pictures seem like a good way to start this blog.

Here we are walking along the Ohio River, looking over at Kentucky.  Yes, Kentucky.  Look at a map.  Cincinnati feels different from the rest of Ohio.  Literally.  It's usually about four degrees warmer than Dayton, which is just up the road.  It also feels culturally different.  A little more Southern, maybe?


This is Cincinnati.  This is my family:  Greg, Mary hiding behind Greg, David hanging on Greg, and Sara being pushed by Greg.  Greg is our rock, in case you didn't know.



Poor Mary.  She was kind of grouchy that day.  (As was I.  Leaving Madison wasn't easy for me.)




Sara to the rescue!  She can always cheer you up!  (She has been my light and joy this year.)



Sara was almost seven months old when we moved here.  I remember when Mary was seven months old.



When Mary was a baby we used to call her Mary Berry.  And that was soon shortened to Mare Bear.  And that quickly became Bear.


Bear is Mary's nickname.  Greg especially has called her Bear, even at age five.  It was always very sweet.  A special daddy-daughter thing.  (His Master's thesis was even supposed to be dedicated to Bear, but there was an error.  But in our hearts we know it was "For The Bear."  She was a toddling baby bear when he wrote it.)



Right after Sara was born, I started calling her Sare Bear.  I couldn't help it!  It just happened.




I realized I had two bears:  Mare Bear and Sare Bear.



Also known as Sister Bear and Baby Bear.



I guess that makes David ... Brother Bear.  So I guess I'm Mama Bear and Greg is Papa Bear.



I love my three little bears.  And their papa.

Anyway, back to Cincinnati, where we live ...



Mary was cuddling our little baby bear, who was watching David ...

do this ...



and this ...


Soon Mary joined in too ... 



And they had a great time ...













Wet and wild and pleased as punch.



And baby bear looked on, content on her daddy's lap.




Oh, just look at that cute face.  Can I kiss those cheeks?





Oh, Sara.  We all adore you.  We love to watch you grow, to watch you see the world open up in new ways.  You bring us together.  You might have been born in Wisconsin (and you will always be my little Madison baby), but I have a feeling that the story of Cincinnati will be the story of three children.  Two plus one.  You are the one.